Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Mark's TNG Mod - V2.0

posted Jan 11, 2013 13:09:49 by MarkBell
Update - Big update. V2.0 kind of update. Slew of new ships available, both player and enemy. Just drop this on top of your old install, or delete the ST_TNG folder from your MOD directory and install these new ones. The .bat file installer is also updated. Pictures below updated as well.

I know there had been talk of Vorus and Martok releasing a TNG mod at some point, but my crews have been using one I based on TreChipman's TMP mod so I figured I'd release it for general use. Most of the models are from either Star Trek: Bridge Commander or Armada mods, there are some from www.trekmeshes.ch, and some from Blender Star Trek Meshes. There are a number of UI changes, sound effects, and opening and closing music. I basically used the same formula as Vorus/Martok/TreChipman from here, just with the relevant numbers. There was some fudging since special effect weapons of the Breen and Borg don't work here, but overall I think it's pretty good. I also decided to standardize the speed and turning ratios based on a rather complex (probably unnecessary) formula, but all the ships (player and enemy) follow the same formula. Some of the ships came from the TMP mod, and their stats have been updated to the most modern numbers available here. I included 2 different base types so you can change the bases to Orbital Mining Stations if you like :) In 1.661 it would randomly select the base types from the file, although 1.7 seems to only pick one. In either case, the mod (should be) fully compatible with 1.661 and later (no real issues so far), it should be compatible with most missions (as long as they left generic loopholes in their vessel declarations), and it's pretty fun, if I do say so myself.

Most of the graphic UI is from Adam's Star Trek Mod.

I've included a mod loader (based off the TMP mod loader - seeing a pattern here?) to load up the TNG mod and return it to stock. Ok, enough talk.

Favorite ships and bases from TNG, DS9, and Voyager!

Epic Battles with old foes and modern allies!

Don't get cocky, as you may be overwhelmed if you're not careful...

Please transmit to Starfleet.... We have engaged... The Borg.

Player Ship List:
Lieutenant Grade

00 Miranda
01 Centaur
02 Constitution Refit
03 Constellation
04 Steamrunner
Commander Grade
05 Excelsior
06 Intrepid
07 Nova
08 Cheyenne
09 Saber
Captain Grade
10 Defiant
11 Ambassador
12 Nebula
13 Akira
14 Galaxy
Admiral Grade
15 Excelsior Refit
16 Intrepid Armored
17 Prometheus
18 Luna
19 Sovereign
Small Starship
20 Danube

Enemies - Klingons (8 different types + some elites), Romulans (9 different types + elites), Dominion (4 different types + elites), Cardassians (2 different types), Ferengi (1 type), and Borg (3 types)

Try it! See if you like it! Leave comments, flames, suggestions, etc below :)

Special thanks: Thom Robertson - for Artemis!! Vorus, Martok, and TreChipman - for their fantastic Star Trek Mods used as inspiration and as a base. TreChipman also for the work he did on several models and textures I shamelessly appropriated :) Various and sundry other folks for their input and assistance.

Mod pack here: rar file - stable release. Unzip and copy into your Artemis folder. If your operating system supports folder merging, then that should handle it.

V2 .AML file for Russ Judge's Artemis Mod Loader (may be simpler than dealing with this file mess): V2 aml file - it should be predefined in V 3.016+
[Last edited Jun 28, 2013 14:03:49]
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next last
170 replies
MarkBell said Jan 15, 2013 01:32:17
So, there's something interesting - I just modified my vesselData.xml to have 11 player ships (by copying one of the existing ones and pasting it in as UID 10, broadtype "player") and the game loaded up just fine. I think there may not be a hard cap on player ships. Yeah. So my player ship selection just exploded :)
JSpaced said Jan 18, 2013 14:09:14
I am loving this mod. (Might have mentioned it before.) I'm planning a Starfleet Academy training day for our Church youth.
There will be decorative signage up "Plasma conduit- do not touch"/ "Holographic Matrix - No Smoking please", mission briefings using animated LCARS and specially recorded video and a set of linked missions I am currently writing.

However, I went to write the finale: "crew lead a fleet vs the Borg" and found ... no cube! :O Shock horror. Still, won't take long to stat will it?

Thank you so much for this mod and keep up the good work!

J
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
MarkBell said Jan 18, 2013 14:12:32
Sweet! I'm glad it's being enjoyed :)

Ver 2.0 will be released pretty soon. Massive expansion (and reorganization) of player ships and enemy vessels, including Teh Cubez (stock and tactical). I'm probably going to set their fleet_commonality to 0 in invasion mode, since they frequently surrender before they're halfway down on hit points. (You can set surrender probability to 0 in missions.)
Charlie said Jan 21, 2013 20:33:25
Mark, your mod is awesome. Constitution against the Borg Sphere...Futile.

Kicking Borg ass with the Sovereign...Priceless.
MarkBell said Jan 22, 2013 01:02:51
+1 that! :) Never tried something that ballsy myself, although tempted now...

Here's what's coming very soon in V2. There's enough playable ships now I divided them into (somewhat arbitrary) command classes:

Player Ships
Lieutenant class:
00 Miranda
01 Centaur
02 Constitution Refit
03 Constellation
04 Saber
Commander Class:
05 Excelsior
06 Intrepid
07 Nova
08 Cheyenne
09 Steamrunner
Captain Class:
10 Defiant
11 Ambassador
12 Nebula
13 Akira
14 Galaxy
Admiral Class:
15 Excelsior Refit
16 Intrepid Armored
17 Prometheus
18 Sovereign

Enemy Ships
Klingon - 12 classes
Romulan - 9 classes
Dominion - 4 classes (with 100% more Breen!)
Cardassian - 2 classes
Ferengi - 1 class
Borg - 2 classes

New neutral ships and bases.... and Stuff! (pictures not to scale internally or to each other)

[Last edited Jan 22, 2013 01:05:30]
JSpaced said Jan 23, 2013 09:57:11
*SQUEE!* That is all.
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
Eric said Jan 24, 2013 02:26:38
Looks amazing! One question: will DS9 be in there as a base?
MarkBell said Jan 24, 2013 03:14:15
It's actually been in there all along, although for some reason 1.70 doesn't seem to select bases randomly. I've got 2 different base types specified, and in 1.66 it picked randomly from all the "base" types. I'm hoping that adding ai_commonality to the two bases will help with that. In either case, you can edit out one or the other if you like.
MarkBell said Jan 25, 2013 14:04:13
Ok, question for folks thinking about using this mod for missions - Should I create unique descriptors for each enemy ship? All of the neutral ships have unique descriptions like "Excelsior Class Battleship" or "Olympic Class Medical Research Vessel" in addition to their more generic "large" "medium" or "base" kind of descriptors.

Pros: Ability to specify particular ships in missions without resorting to UID
Cons: Have to be much more specific when specifying ships.

Currently, the enemy ships have more generic Cruiser, Battleship, etc - this makes them somewhat more selectable, but still random when there's more than one type of battleship within a "Romulan" tag. I'm leaning towards making specific enemy descriptors - any objections?

This won't affect random selection during invasion mode.
MarkBell said Jan 25, 2013 17:31:22
Interesting - apparently enemy ships can't be 2 meshfiles at once, game chokes. Good to know.
MarkBell said Jan 25, 2013 20:05:55
Ok, 2.0 is out! Working on getting a flyby video of ships in the mod, I think it'll be a nice way to look at 'em :)
MarkBell said Jan 27, 2013 13:22:13
Ok, 2.0 is apparently beta. I and others have been getting c++ assert errors relating to pos.x and space_size_w and stuff which may be related to collision code or something else. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'll figure it out. I put the link for V1 back up as it's apparently stable.
JSpaced said Jan 28, 2013 09:21:02
Hi Mark,
Since I know Trek but not real life warship designations, I'd be tempted to go with more specific designations, on the basis I know what I want to pull out of the hat for a mission.

Looking forward to v2!
RussJudge said Jan 28, 2013 13:52:03
Just as an FYI:

In the *.aml file, this line:

<FileMap Source="dat\*" Target="dat" />

is not needed--the Artemis Mod Loader already does that, so adding that line means it does it twice.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

MarkBell said Jan 28, 2013 14:05:47
Well, I've updated the .ini file (TreChipman found a few lines that were added in 1.7), so hopefully that fixes it? Same V2 link, new .ini.

Also new vesselData - finally, one of the last ships I've been looking for: The Luna Class

@RussJudge - Dig it, that's next on the update list :)
[Last edited Jan 28, 2013 14:06:54]
Login below to reply: