Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Mark's TNG Mod - V2.0

posted Jan 11, 2013 13:09:49 by MarkBell
Update - Big update. V2.0 kind of update. Slew of new ships available, both player and enemy. Just drop this on top of your old install, or delete the ST_TNG folder from your MOD directory and install these new ones. The .bat file installer is also updated. Pictures below updated as well.

I know there had been talk of Vorus and Martok releasing a TNG mod at some point, but my crews have been using one I based on TreChipman's TMP mod so I figured I'd release it for general use. Most of the models are from either Star Trek: Bridge Commander or Armada mods, there are some from www.trekmeshes.ch, and some from Blender Star Trek Meshes. There are a number of UI changes, sound effects, and opening and closing music. I basically used the same formula as Vorus/Martok/TreChipman from here, just with the relevant numbers. There was some fudging since special effect weapons of the Breen and Borg don't work here, but overall I think it's pretty good. I also decided to standardize the speed and turning ratios based on a rather complex (probably unnecessary) formula, but all the ships (player and enemy) follow the same formula. Some of the ships came from the TMP mod, and their stats have been updated to the most modern numbers available here. I included 2 different base types so you can change the bases to Orbital Mining Stations if you like :) In 1.661 it would randomly select the base types from the file, although 1.7 seems to only pick one. In either case, the mod (should be) fully compatible with 1.661 and later (no real issues so far), it should be compatible with most missions (as long as they left generic loopholes in their vessel declarations), and it's pretty fun, if I do say so myself.

Most of the graphic UI is from Adam's Star Trek Mod.

I've included a mod loader (based off the TMP mod loader - seeing a pattern here?) to load up the TNG mod and return it to stock. Ok, enough talk.

Favorite ships and bases from TNG, DS9, and Voyager!

Epic Battles with old foes and modern allies!

Don't get cocky, as you may be overwhelmed if you're not careful...

Please transmit to Starfleet.... We have engaged... The Borg.

Player Ship List:
Lieutenant Grade

00 Miranda
01 Centaur
02 Constitution Refit
03 Constellation
04 Steamrunner
Commander Grade
05 Excelsior
06 Intrepid
07 Nova
08 Cheyenne
09 Saber
Captain Grade
10 Defiant
11 Ambassador
12 Nebula
13 Akira
14 Galaxy
Admiral Grade
15 Excelsior Refit
16 Intrepid Armored
17 Prometheus
18 Luna
19 Sovereign
Small Starship
20 Danube

Enemies - Klingons (8 different types + some elites), Romulans (9 different types + elites), Dominion (4 different types + elites), Cardassians (2 different types), Ferengi (1 type), and Borg (3 types)

Try it! See if you like it! Leave comments, flames, suggestions, etc below :)

Special thanks: Thom Robertson - for Artemis!! Vorus, Martok, and TreChipman - for their fantastic Star Trek Mods used as inspiration and as a base. TreChipman also for the work he did on several models and textures I shamelessly appropriated :) Various and sundry other folks for their input and assistance.

Mod pack here: rar file - stable release. Unzip and copy into your Artemis folder. If your operating system supports folder merging, then that should handle it.

V2 .AML file for Russ Judge's Artemis Mod Loader (may be simpler than dealing with this file mess): V2 aml file - it should be predefined in V 3.016+
[Last edited Jun 28, 2013 14:03:49]
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next last
170 replies
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 13:35:36
Absolutely. Once I figure out what is happening, I will post right here so everyone can know what's up (and re-download the mod).
JSpaced said Jan 29, 2013 15:15:40
Having set the compatibility settings, I haven't heard a peep out of this particular error.
J
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
JSpaced said Jan 29, 2013 15:21:13
Hi, another stupid question, because I don't actually know. In VesselData.xml, where you've specified file paths to meshes and textures, does it matter that sometimes you've used "\" and sometimes "/" could that be causing an error somewhere?
J
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 15:21:37
Fascinating. Since nobody's complained about 1.70 throwing these kinds of assert errors with the stock game, its some combination of 1.7 and something I'm doing in the mod then...That Windows7 doesn't like but XP doesn't care about? Yeesh.
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 15:34:10
As far as I'm aware, no, it doesn't seem to matter. I'm running a mission where all of the ships appear in front of the player ship sequentially to double check meshes and collisions and such. The game loads up all of the player ships with no problem, and the slashes go every which way in my file now. I had kinda worried about it before, but it doesn't seem to matter (afaik). I am a little confused why it's not summoning the Bird of Prey and several other ships properly for some reason, but no assert errors so far.
JSpaced said Jan 29, 2013 15:42:17
Ah yes, I've stopped using the race keys and gone with Hull IDs for my mission scripts for that same reason. Fair enough, it's working at the moment and I'm plodding along with my missions.
Wish there was a simple way to initate a planetary scan. At the moment I'm going to implement key polling of the science station.
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 17:06:49
Now, that's interesting - called the BoP by HullID and found this in the autolog after CTD:
============ PandaBitmap::CreateD3DTexture dat/Mods/ST_TNG/textures/kff.png
============ PandaBitmap::CreateD3DTexture dat/Mods/ST_TNG/textures/kff_glow.png
============ PandaBitmap::CreateD3DTexture dat/Mods/ST_TNG/textures/kff_spec.png
D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA

The model loaded fine in DeleDCE and the texture .png's loaded ok also. How bizarre...
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 20:04:35
and yet poof, there it works again.

Hmph.

EDIT: nope, I was wrong. This is annoying.
[Last edited Jan 29, 2013 20:31:00]
MarkBell said Feb 03, 2013 14:53:12
Ok, so using the mod files I've posted on a clean install of Artemis - I haven't been able to recreate the problem yet. Anyone else finding this?
JSpaced said Feb 04, 2013 13:25:27
I've been getting on great but I'm using the Hull IDs because I want to be certain of each ship type. I will try the Race/Hull keys later and let you know.

I've found a bug with the Mission Editor program which may be causing the C++ assertion error.

When I've created asteroid fields with negative Y coordinates, it throws up an error when returning from the space map screen. I then go into another event, back to the start event and find that all the named objects have been duplicated. Could that be causing your issue?

Finally: Are any of the TNG enemies in the mod designed to be carriers? Can I just set one to be a carrier using script?

J
[Last edited Feb 04, 2013 13:28:22]
MarkBell said Feb 04, 2013 13:49:04
Eeeenterestink. Yeah, I've been having to remove the generic hullID types since it wasn't doing what I wanted to. If you set HullKey to something like "Orbital_Station base", it will always pick out the Starbase station. If you set it to just "Orbital_Station", then it picks DS9 reliably. Of course, since you're breaking the general compatibility by removing the "base" key, then you might as well use HullID anyways.

Hm. I wonder if the ships are flying off because of that. I have the y coordinate set to 30.0 for one of these "flash all the ships past", and it works for most of them - although I haven't used the space map for them. I don't see anything in the .xml that has duplicated objects, although I'll check again. That would certainly cause that pos.x error if that was the case.

Currently, the Dominion Battleship (hullID 4701, support type) is a carrier and launches a wing of Dominion Attackers. I don't think you can force a carrier type via scripting. However, you can certainly create an event that will simulate it:

<start name_arme="Start">
<create type="player" x="50000" y="0" z="50000" name="Artemis" />
<set_difficulty_level value="5" />
<set_skybox_index index="9" />
<big_message title="SCRAMBLE!" subtitle1="By Mark" subtitle2="for Example" />
<set_timer name="start_mission_timer_1" seconds="10" />
<set_variable name="chapter_1" value="1" />
<create type="enemy" x="60000.0" y="0.0" z="30020.0" name="EN1" hullID="3704" fleetnumber="1" />
<set_variable name="Launched" value="0.0" />
<set_variable name="Docked" value="1.0" />
</start>
<event name_arme="Launch Fighters" id_arme="b9ebb3f6-0373-4636-af86-afa252aeaa12">
<if_distance name1="Artemis" name2="EN1" comparator="LESS_EQUAL" value="4500.0" />
<if_variable name="Docked" comparator="EQUALS" value="1.0" />
<if_variable name="Launched" comparator="EQUALS" value="0.0" />
<set_variable name="Docked" value="0.0" />
<set_variable name="Launched" value="1.0" />
<create type="enemy" x="0.0" y="0.0" z="0.0" name="Fi1" hullID="3000" fleetnumber="5" />
<create type="enemy" x="50.0" y="0.0" z="50.0" name="Fi2" hullID="3000" fleetnumber="5" />
<create type="enemy" x="100.0" y="0.0" z="100.0" name="Fi3" hullID="3000" fleetnumber="5" />
<create type="enemy" x="150.0" y="0.0" z="150.0" name="Fi4" hullID="3000" fleetnumber="5" />
<set_relative_position name2="Fi1" distance="500" angle="45.0" name1="EN1" />
<set_relative_position name2="Fi2" distance="500" angle="22.5" name1="EN1" />
<set_relative_position name2="Fi2" distance="500" angle="337.5" name1="EN1" />
<set_relative_position name2="Fi2" distance="500" angle="315.0" name1="EN1" />
</event>
<event name_arme="Reclaim Fighters" id_arme="7b53aced-739c-4052-8e08-d8d17c8f67f6">
<if_variable name="Docked" comparator="EQUALS" value="0.0" />
<if_variable name="Launched" comparator="EQUALS" value="1.0" />
<if_distance name1="Artemis" name2="EN1" comparator="GREATER_EQUAL" value="4500.0" />
<set_variable name="Docked" value="1.0" />
<destroy name="Fi1" />
<destroy name="Fi2" />
<destroy name="Fi3" />
<destroy name="Fi4" />
</event>
<event name_arme="Fighters Gone" id_arme="203cd2ce-3c72-4b9d-930d-ccdc2321d4a4">
<if_variable name="Launched" comparator="EQUALS" value="1.0" />
<if_fleet_count comparator="LESS" value="1.0" fleetnumber="5" />
</event>

You could get fancy and keep track of fleet count and don't respawn fighters that got destroyed, but we'll say that the fleet gets replenished when they dock again :)
RussJudge said Feb 04, 2013 14:13:42
@JSpaced: Make sure you are using the latest version of the Mission Editor (v13.01.31.1). If you are and you are still getting that problem, post on the Mission Editor's forum thread (here, and I'll look into it. I may need a copy of your mission script to test and reproduce the error to track down the problem.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

JSpaced said Feb 04, 2013 15:18:58
Ah, no I'm not using the latest. Will download that now. Does this version support variables in place of integers?
Cheers, Russ and thanks to both you and Mark for the hard work!
J
[Last edited Feb 04, 2013 15:20:54]
RussJudge said Feb 04, 2013 15:27:15
Kinda sorta. It will allow you to enter an expression (which could be just the variable name) where before you could enter a number. The catch with that is that it no longer validates that you entered correct information (you could put complete garbage in the field now that could potentially crash Artemis). Also, if the X, Y, and Z (and possibly other parameters--I'm not certain) are set as an expression instead of a fixed number, the object will not be mappable on the spacemap. Not much of a big deal unless you depend on using the spacemap to manipulate the object.

The new commands for version 1.7 of Artemis are also supported.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

cred718 said Feb 07, 2013 02:14:32
i am not getting the ships... all i get is the stock ships. what am i doing?
Login below to reply: